'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 15 March 2020

The Travels of Monkey


Meet Monkey.  My Dad won him for me in a raffle because he thought I would like him.  Since then Monkey has been with me everywhere - attached to windows in my flats, attached to my car window, and, when the suckers he came with became so brittle and broken I had to cut them off, sat in the door of my van.  Now he spends most of his time in the backpack that goes with me pretty much everywhere.


I don't always take photos of him, but he's been the one constant in all my moves and travels.  Monkey's experienced new locations with me, slept in Glens with me, come with me across the country, and is now travelling and walking with me in New Zealand sat on my back with my water and snacks.  Even if I change bags I remember to move Monkey and he probably spends more time with me than even my partner does.


So why am I writing about Monkey? And why am I keeping something that has no real purpose when I've spend the last few years getting rid of so many things that aren't used or worn?  Even my jewellery, which I admit I still have quite a large amount of, are all items that I love and wear, reminding me of places I have travelled to.  However, Monkey is purely sentimental.  He has no real use or function, takes up room (all be it only a small amount), and only has value because I give it to him.  In fact, he's one of the few items I have that is like this and that's one of the things I like about him.


I enjoy having this one silly little item I see whenever I open my bag which has no other purpose that 'just because'.  It's so easy to get caught up in just reducing you're stuff and in the seriousness of trying to live more sustainably that it can become a little bit too serious.  And while I definitely don't want a number of these items I think it's important to have things that remind us to be silly and light hearted on a regular basis.


So, meet Monkey.  The one of a few items I have.....just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment