'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Monday 21 January 2013

Empties #2

So I'm continuing to use up the items I have in my stash instead of buying more items.  Of course, with Christmas having been and gone, and with me being that age now, I got a lot of moisturising creams and shower gels, so it'll be a while before I get through them.


So firstly, Boots Extracts Mango shower gel. One item I got for Christmas with a body butter (which I haven't tried yet), its a Fairtrade item with the mango also being organic, so a big thumbs up on that point. It does smell absolutely amazing, I love mango, and the scent lingers on your skin afterwards. And, while there's no information on the tube about animal testing, Boots does have a no animal testing policy. However, quick look through the ingredients list show that there are sulphates and parabens in the product, all of which I'm trying to move away from as my dry skin really doesn't react well to these ingredients, though those with normal skin would probably be fine.  Which means that, as lovely as it smells, I wouldn't buy this myself.

Then there's the Naked Smooth Jojoba Oil Silk Conditioner.  I love this stuff, love love love it.  I have long hair and, though naturally soft, it can get dry very easily so the jojoba oil here really help keeps it conditioned.  And while my hair looks thick its actually a lot of fine, easily frizzy hair, which this product helps remove without me having to add anything extra afterwards.  Of course, the best bit is that it's not tested on animals, and the ingredients are sulphate and paraben free as well as vegetarian and vegan friendly (no bees wax here).  I've already brought another one!  So far I haven't come across a Naked product that I haven't liked, they just seems to suit my skin and hair so well, smell gorgeous and their values fit mine perfectly.  All their products are even made in the UK and yet every item is completely affordable.

I've also used up what was left of my Boots Sun, Swim and Gym leave-in conditioner which I had brought for when I was going to the gym to work out and needed something quick to use as a conditioner.  While it does state that it leaves your hair soft and shiny, as well as replenishing moisture I really didn't notice any difference in my hair between the times I did or didn't use it.  It also didn't make my hair any less difficult for me to get a brush through and, though its not exactly what conditioners are for, I do like my conditioner to help on that front.  As with the Boots Extracts shower gel there's no information about animal testing on the bottle, which I think would be good if they had that, and a quick glance at the ingredients list shows five different paraben ingredients.  While I never sprayed this product onto my scalp I did get itching around my neck and showers (if wearing a strappy top) whenever I used this product and its it's likely that it was connected to the parabens. Needless to say I won't be buying this item again.  On the plus side, it does have UV filters and the spray bottle it really good, so I think I'll be saving that for use at a later date.

The next thing is the only make-up item that I've used up so far, and its the Collections waterproof Longer Lash mascara in black.  Not really a lot to say about it really: it was waterproof, it was black, it made my lashes a little bit longer, but not a lot, and only cost me £2.99.  It wasn't the best mascara I've ever used, but for the price it was fine and, best of all, Collection 2000 don't test on animals.

The last product I've used up is something that I have really enjoyed using, which is the Skin Blossom Nourishing Face Moisturiser.  It feels lovely on the skin, 88% of the products are organic (certified by Soil Association) and made my face feel soft, helped by the jojoba oil, shea butter and vitamin E (though not with the Sodium Benzoate).  While it doesn't having any information on the tub, Skin Blossom is against animals testing and their website sates that none of their products are tested on animals.  When having a look at this product on-line I've noticed that the product has actually improved since I brought it and used it up.  While the product I used did contain some parabens in the ingredients list, it now has no parabens, which means those of us with sensitive and/or dry skin will get even more out of this product.  I love it when a company does that! However, while I do love this product and would recommend, I am wanting to move towards using products that I make up myself, and, so, won't be buying this again.

So that's it for now.  I'm still working my way through a number of small products I've been sent so I'm sure I'll be doing another one of these pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment