'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 19 March 2017

Mini Film Review: Chemerical

I found this film while I was researching possible substances that could be aggravating / intensifying my allergies.  I had been aware that research into some of the chemicals found in our everyday products had been shown to make some breathing and skin issues worse and as I have dust mite allergies and sometimes get eczema I decided it would probably be a good idea to make sure I wasn't making things worse.

This was a good alround movie which not only covered the products we use in our homes and on our bodies, but also the issues with industries being allowed to release chemicals into our environment and the negative impact this is having on our general health.  I had already been making my own cleaning products at this point but, after watching the Goode family who have been convinced by the director and producer (Andrew Nisker) to try going toxic free by making their own product, I decided take the plunge and make my own laundry powder.  It also made me look even more into what products I actually using on myself and to research more what products I could actually make myself.

Despite the serious subject matter and the stories of the individuals which are being seriously effective by these chemicals, this film does have a humorous side which makes watching this a lot easier.  My favourite bit, though, wasn't the watching the Goode family really take to make their own less toxic products or the humorous side to the film, but was the interest Andrew Nisker had with the microbiologist Dr. Donald Low.  Despite his profession he doesn't fill his home with antibacterial everything, but instead cleans everything with good old fashioned soap and water.  In fact, he points out that the use of antibacterial products actually increases the chances of the bacteria become resistant. 

So what's recommended as cleaning products:
  • soap - tick
  • water - tick
  • vinegar - tick
  • baking soda - tick
  • essential oils - tick
I have definitely found that, since changing over, I've had less issues with my breathing, eyes, and skin, and I really notice the synthetic scents of products that I really didn't notice before.  It's also good on the purse strings and have saved me a fair amount of money.

This film is definitely worth a watch if you're wanting to know more about the man made chemicals we find all around us and possible ways of reducing what you find in your home.

You can get this movie from their own website or off amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment