'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 15 April 2018

Search engine Ecosia


I use search engines all the time. In fact, with the event of the smart phone, I basically search every little question that pops into my head which I used to just leave and then forget about.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, but searching information has definity become something I do regularly.  I used to use Google, but recently I have found another search engine that adds a little brownie point to every search you do.  It's called Ecosia and they do tree planting.


Ecosia is a search engine you download and then you use it in exactly the same way that you use any other search engine.  The difference with this search engine is that they use the income they generate from the search ads that appear to plant trees.  You can learn a little more about why they decided to spend this money on tree planting rather than other projects on their website, but they see them as being 'nature's high impact home remedy' and the reason for this mainly boils down to six things.

  • they are the most biodiverse ecosystems on land
  • they help protect the soil from erosion
  • they help clean the air
  • they help local people by providing healthy food and sustainable products
  • they provide water security and prevent both flooding and draught
  • they play an important role in the fight against climate change

The one thing I love about this search engine is that you get to see just how many trees you've helped plant every time you do a search.  Don't get me wrong, this doesn't search as well as Google, but the difference in the two search engines is not big and definitely not big enough to justify not using Ecosia instead.  I've now also installed it onto my android phone as well.  Definitely worth the change and almost gives a justification to my constant searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment