'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 7 March 2021

Eating from the Redwall Cookbook: Winter

After the disappointment of getting a refund instead of the actual book from the first company I ordered from, I finally got this cookbook from a website full of wonderful Redwall loveliness, Redwall Abbey - I'm definitely going back for more things.  It arrived at the beginning of February, so I didn't have very long to try the winter recipes.  However, these are the ones I gave a go.

Mossflower Mulled Cider

I just couldn't resist making this one as I don't think I've ever tried mulled cider before, and you can't live in the west country and not make a recipe which has cider as the main ingredients.  Firstly, Cornish Orchards Farmhouse Cider was a real find and definitely worth drinking more of, even on its own.  Secondly, this recipe was delicious and probably a little bit too easy to drink, especially on the cold day I made it on.  This is definitely being made again in the not so distant future, regardless of what season we're in.

Shrimp 'n' Hotroot Soup

This is the first food recipe we tried from this cookbook, and actually my partner cooked this one.  Obviously we made some changes, like swapping out the shrimp for Quorn Fingerless Fingers and changing the milk for dairy-free milk (which we decided to not use in the end).  Unfortunately, this recipe was a bit underwhelming and lacking in flavour, but these recipes are meant for children.  However, I think if we added some more spice and heat to it, and actually use the milk we were meant to use 😹, it would be a recipe we would make more often.  A bit of experimenting needed here I think.  I'm not giving up on this recipe loved by otters just yet, but it's not a win right now.

Veggible Molebake

This, however, was a real win.  Very simple and yet very, very yummy.  As per usual, I swapped the flour for gluten free plain flour and all the dairy products into dairy-free products.  I couldn't find the dairy-free cream called for in the recipe so I used dairy-free creme fraiche instead, and actually we liked the sourness it brought to the dish so this change will probably be one that stays.  So, Veggible Molebake is definitely going into the recipe rotation and, what I really like, is that it's one of those recipes which you can make little tweaks to to make it different every time.

And that was it for the winter dishes, I'm saving the rest for when December comes around.  However, so far so mostly yummy and it's been lovely having a little reminder of the books I loved as a child.  One of the best bit has been the little story these recipes have been weaved into, meaning that you get a little bit of Redwall as you cook.  Next up is spring time.  I wonder what these will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment