'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 13 June 2021

Crafting 2021 Update 2

That's another three months of crafting gone and it's been more productive than I was expecting, despite having less time than before. 

The 1940s Trousers

After repeatedly putting this project off as I was finding the pattern a bit intimidating and I also knew I would have to make quite a few changes to it as my body shape doesn't fit the norm, I decided to just open the package and give it a go.  I'd decided to make a pair of shorts out of the top of the pattern first, using a bed sheet, so that I could work out the changes. They're not perfect and I need to lower the back of the legs as I've made them so high it's just inappropriate, but they actually turned out a lot better than I was expecting.  Now I have all the changes I need to make to the trousers.

I've also finally brought the material that I need to make the trousers and it is a beautiful wool suit fabric, which I brought from Minerva.  I also ordered some smiling buttons (as I just couldn't help myself), nylon thread, and the interfacing I'll need as well.  I do need to wash the material first to reduce the chance shrinkage after I've finished them, but then I'll take the plunge and start making the trousers properly.  I'm also planning on making the top half of the dungarees as a detachable part of the outfit so I can add it and remove it when I want.  I've ordered enough material for that as well.

Christmas Cards

This has gone no further than the last update.  If I'm honest it's because I'm a little nervous that it's going to be a complete disaster, but I'll need to just give this a go and stop being a coward.

Lord of the Rings /The Hobbit Cross-Stitch

This has gone quite well and I've managed to finish the top half of The Shire.  It's looking really good and I'm looking forward to it being completed on the wall.  Though I have now realised that it's probably going to take me years before I finished them all.  There is also the problem that I got a line of dirt on the fabric from the way I was holding the frame and I need to work out how I'm going to wash this off before I carry on with the bottom half of the pattern.

The Fantail Skirt

I haven't started sewing this as I want to practice using my sewing machine more first, especially as this is the skirt I'll be wearing at my wedding.  I wanted to make this and the top out of second-hand fabric but, despite a whole lot of searching in the charity shops, I couldn't find anything and so have brought some of the fabric of eBay.  I'm still looking for the lace table cloth that I'll also be using as part of the skirt as I have a particular design in my mind. I do have to dye fabric I'm using for the skirt as I want it to be a pale blue.  I'm hoping to start on this once I've finished making my trousers.

Altering my Pyjamas

I've already written a post about this, so I won't write too much about it here.  In summary, I had a pair of pyjamas that were too big for me but I didn't want to throw them away or buy a new pair as I really like the theme of these.  So I decided to do a little practising on my sewing machine and resize them.  They actually fit pretty well now and I'm glad I gave it a go.

Knitting Socks

I hadn't done any knitting since Christmas and I was actually missing it so I wanted to find a small project that wouldn't take up too much time.  I decided to knit some socks.  I've found a sock yarn by Regia Yarns that was designed by Arne and Carlos and am using the sock pattern Voolevine has available on her website.  They're going pretty quickly and I'm really liking the outcome.  This might end up being something I make on a regular basis, even if it's just to have something to do.

And that's it for this quarter.  It's not a large amount, but it's definitely more than I was expecting to do at this time of year.  I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the variety of crafts I have going at the moment.  I will need to really concentrate and spend some extra time working on the trousers so who knows how much I'll actually get accomplished next quarter, but hopefully, it'll be similar to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment