'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 20 February 2022

Decluttering and Tidying 2022

I try to do a declutter and tidy on a regular basis so that nothing ever gets too out of hand.  This has been especially important recently as most of the places I've lived in haven't exactly had a lot of space to them.  I had planned on doing this after all the wedding preparations were finished, but I have been finding the clutter very distracting.  So I've decided to do a mini declutter over a week and then I'll do a larger one later, along with a deep clean.

Wedding Fabric Corner
This little corner contains all the fabric that I had collected to make our wedding garments.  Some of the fabric I didn't need any more and I have to admit that I probably did over buy just a little bit.  Thankfully all the fabric was brought second hand so I don't feel too bad about it.  I'll be sending some of the fabric to the charity shop (the bedding) and I've put away the extra dyed blue fabric I now longer need for wedding sewing for a future project I hope to do later on this year.  All that's left there now is the fabric I need to complete my outfit and the accessories.


Stationary Draw
This draw is meant to just contain all the stationary/ electronics I use at the moment.  However, it has really just become a catch all draw now and I can't really find anything in it.  First thing was to pull everything out to see what I actually had.  A couple of items could be moved back to where they actually belonged, mostly outdoor stuff I'd thrown into there, and others found their way to the charity shop bag - for some reason I had quite a lot of bookmarks.  Paperwork went into a pile to be sorted later and I really need to remember to deal with it as soon as it comes in rather than just shoving it into the draw.  I then put everything else back into the draw in a way that meant I could actually see everything.


Wardrobe
There isn't too much for me to do here as I tend to get rid of any item of clothing I'm not wearing anymore pretty much straight away.  I did double check to make sure there wasn't any items hiding somewhere, but my main focus was on the towels and bedding that we also store there.  We've changed our duvet size so now we have some duvets and duvet covers that we no longer need, so they'll be finding a new home.  There's also a towel that I've had since I was about 7 and is completely falling apart.  It's finally time to say goodbye to it and I'll probably cut it up into cleaning cloths.  Obviously I didn't touch any of my partner's things, however tempted I might have been.


Kitchen
This was a pretty quick one as it's only the cupboard which has our reusable containers and Tupperware that needed a look through.  I got rid off some food containers we aren't using anymore, a water bottle we don't use, and a whole lot of takeaway boxes which I'm going to use to sort out our outdoor gear (once wedding stuff is done) and then recycle what I don't use.


Paperwork
I normally do this at the end of the financial year, but as I need to put a whole lot of paperwork into the folder I decided I might as well do the decluttering at the same time.  It turns out there was quite a lot of paperwork I should have gotten rid of a while ago, so this turned out to be a good decision.  A whole lot of shredding will be needed.

This was quite a quick declutter this time as I don't really have a lot of time to go through everything properly, but I already feel a lot calmer and happier about our living space.  Once I have a little more time I'll definitely go through everything properly, but this has been enough for now.  A big spring clean will be happening though, as soon as I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment