'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 18 June 2023

What my Wardrobe Looks Like Now


It's been a little while since I wrote about how my wardrobe is coming along and it's definitely changed a little over the last few years.  I have to admit that I have strayed a little from how I had originally planned the make up of my wardrobe to be at the start of 2021.  However, I do think this is probably a little normal as I'm making a number of my clothes now and there are a number of styles and techniques I've been wanting to try.


The most obvious difference is probably that it's a little larger than it use to be or how I had originally planned it to be.  This is party because I have been enjoying having clothes that actually fit me in the items I've made myself, which has meant that I've made more than I really needed to.  However, I have also become a little bit more relaxed when it comes allowing myself to buy new or second-hand clothing and I have been especially bad at this when it comes to t-shirts.  I do think I needed a little more clothing than I had originally thought as I do sweat more than I thought, which means I do need more clothes I can rota before washing them.  However, I definitely didn't need as many as I had brought.


The new makeup of my wardrobe is 40% (16 items) were brought new (though many of them are actually pretty old now), 35% (14 items) are home made, and 25% (10 items) are second hand.  For the new items that I'd brought recently I have tried to make sure that they were either ethical or helped support a charity or organisation in some way, but sometimes I just needed to buy a specific item and couldn't follow this idea.  I will have these items for a long time though, but I really shouldn't need to buy anything new for a while now.


There are still a few more items that I plan on making in the near future, which include a couple of tops, a pair of trousers, and a jumper, but after that I don't really see my wardrobe growing much more on the homemade front.  I have definitely moved away from my original plan of just making a few items so that I had only what was practical, but I think I want to stear myself back to this idea now.  There are a few items that I think I could declutter and I will be going through everything to see if there' something I no longer want or really use, but mostly I think I'm just going to stop buying in new items and just keep using the those I have already until they get too old to keep wearing.  And then I'll just not replace them.


Even though my wardrobe is bigger than I had previously wanted it I love that so much of it is now handmade by me, and that they are the items that I wear the most.  It's also good to have things that are more my style and which actually fit my body shape.  It's still not quite the cohesive wardrobe that would probably be quite useful to have, but that's because my style is so varied.  However, I have been trying to use fabrics and yarns from a specific colour range to help tie things together and this is probably something that I'll continue to work on in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment