'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 17 December 2023

Crafting 2023 Update #4


I haven't done a lot of crafting in this last quarter and definitely not much of the projects I had originally planned to do.  Specifically, I haven't worked on any of the use-up projects, but at least with those projects I have everything I need to do them and can just pull out when I want to.  To be honest, it's mainly because I've been distracted by other things, but as I had no real goal for this year, crafting-wise, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Christmas Cards /Quilling


This is where most of my time has been spent when I have been crafting.  I thought that this year, for the Christmas cards that I make, I would try quilling again as it was something I enjoyed doing as a child.  It probably wasn't the best idea as I ended up putting off making these for quite a while as I suddenly got nervous about them, thinking they would be too complicated.  However, once I got started it actually just clicked and I was able to get into a rhythm.  I did make some other styles of Christmas cards as well for items that were travelling a little bit further than the UK as I wasn't sure how well the quilling would hold up in the post for that long.

The Maggie Jumper


I have started my matching jumper to Ed's star jumper, but the size of the needles and thickness of the yarn means that this jumper is probably going to take me a very long time to make.  I'm also not able to dedicate that much time to it and just pull it out once I've completed everything else I need to do.  This means I'm only doing about two hours of knitting a week at the moment.  However, I should hopefully be able to give it more time now that all the Christmas cards are done.

King Cole Double Knit Shawl and Jumper (2793)


These are now complete and sent off to their new owner.  I really liked how they turned out and they were quite enjoyable to make.  It's always difficult to determine what the right size is at the best of times, but even more so when it's a baby that hasn't even arrived yet.  Hopefully, they'll work well once needed.

Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society Hat


I of course brought some wool when we went to the National Wool Museum a little while ago and was looking for a project to use it on.  I had found this pattern on Etsy from the shop Swan Avenue and this was actually a hat I've been wanting to make since watching the movie.  It turns out that I'd brought exactly the right amount of yarn to do this, but there is some left over though not enough to make anything else so I'll be looking for more so that I can make matching mittens in the future.  No rush on that though.  I really like how it's turned out and I'm expecting to get a lot of wear out of it.

Fixing Ed's Trousers


A pair of Ed's work trousers ripped along part of the waistband, which they shouldn't have done as he hasn't had them for that long.  Rather than throwing them out and having to buy more, I decided I would just fix them using some of the leftover fabric I had stored away.  It's not the neatest fix ever as the original fabric was fraying everywhere, but there is no longer a big hole in his trousers, the joint is not particularly obvious when he's wearing them, and he should hopefully now get quite a bit longer out of them.

Field of Fucks Cross-stitch


I still haven't started this yet even though I had planned to.  I might try and start before the end of the year, but it's most likely going to be something that I start next year.


And that's everything.  Not a huge amount of projects completed and there are quite a few I had planned on doing this year that I never got around to doing.  However, that's fine as these crafts are things that I do to help me relax rather than because I need to make them for any particular reason.  I still have quite a long list of items I want to make and I'll just work my way through them over the next few years, depending on what we can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment