'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Wednesday 17 April 2013

I'm sorry, what? - You care more about the planet then you do about people.

Yes, yes I do!

People say this to me all the time, in an accusational way, as if the planet and humans are mutually exclusive. As if you can exclude the planet when you're thinking about what's best for humans. Its a completely bizarre idea and really not true.  We are completely dependent of the planet for our food, clothes, health and even just the air we breath, and, therefore, we need to put the planet first if we are to survive as a species.  And there's more at stake too, because it would not only be us that disappeared as the planet was destroyed, but almost all the other groups of living things that evolved on this planet with us.  More life can be saved by putting the planet first than can be saved by putting us first.

I can see how it might seem strange to other humans that, when I have to make a choice, I choose the planet over those of my species.  It might seem strange that I choose to give any spare cash I have to environmental charities rather than human based ones.  That, for me, activities that help prevent climate change must come before activities that help other people, no matter how needy they may be.  But, who do you think are going to be the first affect by climate change when it happens?  It'll be those who live in poor conditions, those who live in countries already affected my drought and famine, and those who can't afford to buy the products that they would need to survive.  In short, the money that you hand out every month is going to be totally pointless if you don't also help with protecting the planet and preventing climate change.  If you want to help them you must also help in protecting the planet.

I find it especially strange when people with children tell me that they're children are their number one priority and that they don't think about the planet and climate change at all.  But if you're children are so important to you, how can you not think about how their future is going to be.  If we don't stop the changes we see happening now than they will be faced with extreme and dangerous weather conditions, issues with food production and violence between many countries over resources.  Out of all the things you would not want your children to face, than surely it is that.

Putting the planet first comes down to one very basic idea.  If we disappeared the planet would carry on just fine, but if the planet disappeared we'd be screwed.

Of course, I'm not the only person who feels this way.  For many, the planet is just as important, but enough 'accuse' me of this charge to make me worry that the importance of this planet we live in just hasn't gotten through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment