'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Tuesday 21 June 2016

The EU Referendum - from the environmental point of view


So in one more day those of us living in the UK will need to vote whether or not we want to stay in the EU.  Over the last few weeks we have heard a lot about immigration, money and jobs, but pretty much nothing about the one thing that will have the largest effect on our lives - the environment.

I've been scouring the internet for any information I can find on how either outcome would affect the environment and wildlife in the UK and the planet as a whole, and I thought I would write a quick blog on which websites I found most useful in making my decision.  (I did think about writing my own opinions on this but these sites are much better written and give you a much more rounded view).

My favourite site by far has been The Wildlife Trust's 'The EU Referendum and Wildlife'. This site covers the EU laws and funding that affects wildlife and the environment now, case studies, and (the part I found most interesting) have published the report commissioned by The Wildlife Trust, WWF, and RSPB from the Institute of European Environmental Policy about the possible outcome of the EU referendum.

The next in another report I'm afraid, this time by The UK in a Changing Europe on The EU Referendum and the UK Environment.  This is quite a dry report, but is factual and to the point without much emotion, allowing you to make a more informed decision.

The last site I'm going to talk about is actually Friends of the Earth (a site I actually don't spend that much time on).  More specifically two reports they have published: The Implications of UK Environmental Policy of a Vote to Exit the EU and The EU Referendum and the Environment.  These reports do lean more on the stay side of things, but still look at all areas and I actually found them quite informative on all viewpoints.  Their web-page covers everything from bees to air quality, energy to fishing.  

At the end of the day what you vote depends on who hands our environment is most safe in, the UK on it's own or the EU as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment