'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 21 May 2017

Decluttering: clothing & shoes


About a year ago I went through my wardrobe and got rid of a number of things that I just didn't wear anymore or that didn't fit at all.  I've never really had a particularly large wardrobe, but I still felt that there were a number of things that were taking up useful space that I easily get rid of.  Since then I have been getting rid of things here and there which were worn out and couldn't be fixed.  I had thought that there wouldn't be anything else that would go and I started packing up my items ready for my move to my new job, but as I was doing this I realised I have a number of items of clothing that are specifically for the administration in an office job I'd been doing for the last few years and not the outdoor getting wet and muddy job I was going to.  While I knew that I would want to keep a few pieces that I loved (and it's good to have a couple of nice clothes), I also knew there there were a number of items that I had just because they were office appropriate.


So I sat down and went through them, getting rid of a pair of black trousers (which didn't really fit properly anyway), a couple of tops that I would only ever wear in an office and which either didn't really sit on me properly or were too short for me know, a couple of cardigans, and a cami which I wore under tops but which has such skinny straps that my bra would show through.  I also decided to get rid of a long sleeve top I had brought as a layering piece but which was so thin it didn't do anything, a woolie hat that was so tight it gave me a headache every time I wore it, and a scarf I just didn't love anymore.  I'm not really into wearing high heels anymore either so I got rid of my last pair of really high ones and a pair of ankle boots which only really work with my work stuff.  There other items are just ones I realised I had duplicates of and didn't actually use.  There are also a couple of items (not shown here) which are vintage and so I'm going to try selling them.

This definitely isn't the largest decluttering of clothing ever (I know that other people have multiple bin bags full usually), but it was a good reminder to me that I could still be holding onto unnecessary stuff because I'm not really thinking about how much I use them.  Clothes are pretty easy items for me to get rid off as they don't tend to have any sentimental feelings attached to them, but there are other items which I tend to me much more attached to (predominantly jewellery) even though there may be absolutely no reason for it and I think the reason I've been letting myself hold onto them is because I haven't had to move in a while.  There's been no need or incentive to keep the items of products I have to a minimum.

A number of my products will need to start going into storage soon and that isn't exactly a cheap process, so storing items that I don't use or which don't hold any special meaning really does seem like a waste.  As I'm only going to be able to do this over the weekends it'll have to be a little bit done here and there, but I'll keep myself accountable by posting the decluttered items on Instagram.  It's time for me to start being just a little bit more brutal about what I've been holding onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment