'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 23 July 2017

My favourite clothing - work





My life has changed significantly over the last few months and my wardrobe has gone through a change to suit the new job that I have.  My career has changed from an office bound administration job to doing a traineeship in upland path construction where I'm outside every day.  The pencil skirts and smart tops have now changed from outdoor trousers and base layers.  I do have some new items (though some I have had for many years as part of my hill walking kit), but my favourite work gear that I always reach for first have turned out to be the items I brought second hand.




When it comes to trousers I always reach for the my army trousers.  They are both exactly the same style (French, 80s, women's) in camouflage and lightweight colours and I love these.  Firstly, they are one of the best fit trousers I've ever had which actually fit my figure (absolute miracle when you have a curvy body); secondly, they are really comfortable and easy to move around in; and thirdly, they are high waisted which means I don't have to worry about flashing people when I'm moving around.  Most importantly, they have held up to all the things I put them through without snagging or ripping.  They were a bit pricey for a second hand item at £18 each, but they were worth the price and unfortunately the British style (which I could get for cheaper) don't fit as well which usually means rubbing along my waist.  I usually wear my Elvis & Kresse belt made from used British Fire Brigade hoses, but unfortunately it doesn' fit into the belt loop holes of the lightweight trousers, so I've brought a second hand belt for that particular pair.



I pretty much wear long sleeves tops every day, even when it's sunny and hot, as it protects me from the midges, scratchy plants, and ticks.  I've got three, but the two I wear the most I got from the British Heart Foundation for £1.99 each.  My favourite is the stripy top from F&F Clothing as it fits so well, but I do like the bagginess of the Tommy Hilfiger top.  The Hilfiger top also makes me laugh when I wear it as it used to be all the rage when I was a teenager in the 1990's, but I shouldn't afford the brand.  Now I'm wearing it to do manual work.


When I do need a jumper I bounce between my Trespass fleece, which I've had for over 10 years now and is still really warm - it's my go to, and my woolly jumper that my Nan knitted for my older brother, which then got passed down to me.  I got it when I was 12 (23 years ago) and it's a little bit too small, but it's still holding on and puts up with a lot of heavy work and heavy washing.  I will keep wearing this until it falls apart. Thanks Nan. 💓

I don't have a lot of work clothes and I put them through a lot, but they all stand up well and show that second hand or old are not necessarily second in quality.  I'm definitely a lot happier in these clothes then the smart office clothes I wore before.

No comments:

Post a Comment