'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 12 November 2017

Reduced Waste Period - the Mooncup


Okay, so I get that this might be a sensitive subject for some people, but as a woman I have to accept that every month I will receive that little gift we are so lucky to have.  These have rarely been easy rides for me but the thing that bothered me the most was the amount of waste I was producing each time my period appeared.  I had made the transition to organic cotton pads and tampons a while ago (my favourite brand is Natracare organic), but while that reduced the amount of pesticide going into the environment it hasn't actually reduce the amount of waste my period sends to landfill or end up in the sea.  So I started looking at alternative reusable products and, after researching a few including reusable material pads, I decided to give Mooncup a go.



The cup is made up of a medical grade silicone, is latex free and contains no dyes or bleach.  It is also cruelty free and vegan.  It does normally have a long neck (which you can see in the first picture), but I've cut it down for comfort.  It does take a little while to get used to using it, they recommend around 3 months, but once you get used to inserting and removing it properly, it's very comfortable and reliable.  Mooncup recommends that you empty your cup every 4 to 8 hours, but I've found that it can last longer then that with out any trouble.  Which is useful as it can be almost 10 hours between being able to get to a proper toilet.



This half fold seems to be the method most people use and the one advised on the website, but even though I've tried it multiple times it just doesn't seem to work for me.



So I go for the push in the middle technique.  I've worn the Mooncup for a few years now, but did have a break for a few years (I'm not entirely sure why).  When I decided to start wearing it again I decided I should go for the larger size A, as recommended on the Mooncup website for someone over 30.  This is the first time I've ever had any real problem with the cup.  It was uncomfortable to wear and I was very aware of exactly where it was in my body.  It also leaked regularly, especially when I was volunteering outside.  As I knew I was going to be getting a manual job I decided to contact the company to see if I could get any advice from them.  I have to say Mooncup has amazing customer service.  They recommended some techniques to help with the comfort and leaking, but when these didn't work they then sent me the smaller size B.  They also gave me a follow up email to check that everything was okay.  



Since getting this smaller size I've had no problems at all and have gone back to having a relatively comfortable period, despite digging ditches and rolling stones.  



It comes with a little bag to store when not in use and a couple of leaflets to let you know about the cup and how to use it, but no other packaging other then the recyclable cardboard box it comes in.  To top it all, the cup is pretty easy to look after and store.  I know for some people using the cup might seem a bit unpleasant, but it's good to remember that it is only your blood and your not bothered about changing a plaster.  You will also get used to it, along with inserting and removing the cup quickly.  Best of all, the waste I produce during my period is practically zero.

If you're looking for a more sustainable alternative to pads and tampons I would definitely recommend looking at the Mooncup.

No comments:

Post a Comment