'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 13 September 2020

Cleaning Up My Diet.....again :)

 

I made the decision to 'go healthy' again after lock-down a little while ago.  In fact, I wrote about it on this blog last month, but, as usual, I dragged my feet because........well why won't you when you have this excuse for eating badly.  This will be a pretty quick blog as I don't want to be repeating what I've already written about here many times before, but trying to eat healthily is a constant effort for me (especially as I have to be so much more strict due to the PCOS) and I don't think it'll ever become just a habit.

I should probably start by saying that, at a general look, my diet looks pretty healthy with lots of vegetables.  It's just that the portions are definitely too big for my size and the additional food, normally known as snacks, are probably more of the problem.

Starting with the easiest bit, I need to reduce my portion sizes to the amount I should actually be eating for my size, and probably ignore the little bit of hunger I will be feeling at the beginning.  I now have more control over the food being made at the moment, so I also want to make fresher meals with one being a large mixed salad and the other full of fresh vegetables.  I'm also having gluten-free toast for my breakfast, but I'm finding I'm getting hungry pretty quickly in the mornings now so it would probably be a good idea to go back to overnight oats or porridge.

Now for the more difficult bit, snacking.  Like pretty much everyone else, I tend to snack on things I really shouldn't, like biscuits, crisps, chocolate, sugar, sugar, sugar.  It probably doesn't help that I used to get allergic reactions to pretty much every fruit out there, bar the fiddly oranges, making it difficult to choose that option.  However, that does seem to be reducing at the moment so maybe I should probably give them all another try.  Having to walk to the shops to get unhealthy food doesn't seem to be much of a hindrance to me either, so what I really need to do is make the healthy snacks much more accessible and easy.  The fruit should cover the sugar cravings and the nuts should add the crunch I like to have.  I'm still going to let myself have 'unhealthy' snacks now and then, probably once or twice a week, as going too extreme tends to lead to people falling off the bandwagon in a strong way.

Hopefully, if I can make these changes over the next few weeks my health should improve considerably, including the reduction in my allergies which usually gets worse when I have too much-processed sugar.  Which should then be enough of an incentive to keep going.  My arse might also stop expanding in the way it's doing right now as well. 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment