'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 17 January 2021

Crafting in 2021

Whilst everything else didn't really go to plan in 2020, it did turn out to be a pretty good year for crafting.  I definitely don't expect to get as much done this year as last, especially now that I've managed to finally get a job 🎉, but I do want to keep my hand in and carry on creating things.  I have a few projects already planned and, obviously, the list will probably increase as I go along.

Christmas Cards

For the last few years, I've made my Christmas cards, starting in January to spread the task out.  Usually, I do a cross-stitch, which I put into a card, but this year I want to try something new.  I haven't quite decided what, but I am thinking maybe making a type of pop-up card or even seeing if I still know how to paint with watercolours.  Either way, I'll need to make a decision soon so I can start as soon as possible.

Biophilia Shawl and Tie

I did write about this project in my last craft plans post and update, but I have a special event coming up, hopefully this year, though who knows as I sit in another lockdown.  I'm wanting to make most of the clothes for it myself and I'm starting with my shawl.  This is a knitting pattern that I found on lovecrafts.com.  It's called Biophilia and is designed by Mary-Anne Mace (Lace Eater Designs), who is from New Zealand (fitting as my partner is a kiwi).  I've found some yarn that I really love, Fyberspates Vivacious 4 Ply Merino in Peacock (though there is some transfer of the colour onto my hands when I'm knitting), and have already started knitting it.  I'm also doing a tie to match, using the same wool and the pattern for the shawl for the end of the tie.

Fantail Skirt

This is the skirt that I'll be making for that event, along with the top below.  I've ordered the pattern already from Scroop Patterns, which allows you to either make it in the historical style or in a more modern length.  I actually want to make it in a length that's in between the two patterns, so this will need some tweaking.  The plan is to make both this and the top from pre-loved fabric, so I'll be looking for sheets and tablecloths in the charity shops (when they re-open), and I plan to dye the skirt a light blue.  One thing that will connect the two items is the lace design, I'm thinking about lace curtains, which will be the same design on both.

Off the Shoulder Top

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make this, but I am thinking about possibly working with this pattern from We All See.  It would be the simplest to make and I would be able to wear it other times as well, which is the plan for all three of these projects.  I may change my mind once it's made, but it should be a pretty calming project after the skirt.

Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Cross-stitch

I had these in my last crafting plans post and, though I've brought some thread and fabric, I haven't actually started yet.  I brought all the patterns last year from Etsy when I really shouldn't have but just couldn't help myself.  They're basically vintage-style travel posters for places in middle earth and I'm going to make them to go up around the home.  I decided to start at the beginning, of both stories, which is Hobbiton.  I'm actually really quite excited about doing these and there are nine of them so it should keep me pretty busy.

Jumpers

I never used to be someone who gets cold, but now I seem to get cold much more easily than before.  Due to that, I've decided I probably need to add more long sleeves and jumpers into my wardrobe than I have had before.  However, instead of just buying them I think I want to carry on making them like I made my cardigan.  I'm going to be going back to the Knit Vintage book that I used for the cardigan.  I want to make a long sleeve jumper called the Natalie Feather-Stitch Sweater and a short sleeve one that I can layer (and wear in spring/ summer) called Vivien Fair IsleStyle Sweater.  These will be a little later in the year as I want to concentrate on the other items first, specifically the cards, shawl, top, and skirt, and I will probably have to save up for the wool as they tend to be quite pricy, but it'll be good to get them done before winter is back.

And that's it for now.  It doesn't seem a lot, but I am wondering if I'll get them all done by the end of 2021.  It should be an enjoyable past time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment