'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 24 July 2022

Doing a Whole Lot of Cleaning - Update


T
his is going to be a pretty short post, but it's been a few months now since I started using our adapted version of the Fly Lady to try and get our flat in a better state than it had been at the start of the year.  And I have to say that, even in such a short space of time, the outcome has been pretty good.


It's obviously not completely spotless as it is a lived-in space and I wouldn't want to live in what is basically a show home anyway.  The real trick has been doing the 15 minutes clean every day to work your way through the list of recommended tasks.  I have to admit that there have been a few times where I really couldn't be bothered when I got home after work, but most of the time I've managed to convince myself to actually do it as it's such a short amount of time.  It helps that the flat is also so small that usually I only need to do a few days of 15-minute cleaning and the zone is complete.


Probably the most unexpected thing to come out of this has been just how much extra stuff I've been able to declutter.  There must be something about regularly looking at a space properly that allows you to see what you have there and what really isn't being used as the weeks go on.  There are still a few tasks that need to be done before that flat reaches the level of cleanliness that I would like, but we are getting there and this length of time is to be expected based on how long we let everything slide before.


One thing I definitely need to do moving forward is to rewrite the list of things that need to be cleaned in each zone.  At the moment it just has all the things that are recommended on the Fly Lady website, but that doesn't really work for our space and I've noticed that I've missed a few things when cleaning.  


At the moment I still leave the weekly home blessing to Ed as this allows us to share the housework easily and there are some things that we don't bother doing at all, like shining the kitchen sink and doing a daily wipe of the bathroom.  However, the flat is still looking a lot better than it did when we started this and it's also become a lot easier to keep it clean and tidy.  All I need to do now is keep up these daily 15-minute cleans.  What I'm hoping is that they just become a habit.....hopefully very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment