'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 29 October 2017

Beating PCOS: still living with PCOS

Unfortunately PCOS is something that you can cure or get rid off.  It's something that remains with you your whole life, though symptoms do sometimes change with menopause.  However, there are changes that can be made to your lifestyle (some I have already spoken about in my previous blog) which help combat some of the effects of PCOS and help you feel better in the long run.  The good news about these changes is that they really are things everyone should be doing, we just have to be a little stricter about them.  

So these are the habitats I do on a regular basis.

Diet
These is one of the key areas to help with the effects of PCOS and I have already written a blog post on what diet has been recommended.  Now don't get me wrong, I do have a treat now and then and I have fallen off the bandwagon a few times, but for the most part I have a pretty healthy diet with almost no dairy.  The plus is that I've been following it for so long now it feels pretty normal and I actually quite like it.  I am a fan of vegetables so that always helps and I haven't missed taking out dairy as much as I thought. It probably helps that reducing dairy has greatly reduced the number of colds I've had.

Exercise
I'm lucky in this department because the work I do means I'm pretty much exercising all day long, and quite intensively.  Along with the commute I do on my bike I am basically on my feet and moving from 7.30am until 6.30pm.  I have increased my diet to fit the additional work, but I haven't needed tondo so by much.  When I'm not at work it's important to keep the exercise level up and if I'm having a few days off in. Row then I tend to run quite regularly.  It's not at the same intensity but it's something that has definitely helped in the past and something that seems to work well with my body.  It's important to find a type of exercise that suits you and your body, and that you enjoy.  But it can't be too easy otherwise it won't have the desired affect.

Both of these have helped me with weight loss (and hopefully helped reduce the chance of me getting Type II diabetes) and I am now around 9 stone 7.  This is a big difference to the 13 stone 5 I was at my heaviest.  It also seems to have helped reduce the amount of hair that has been growing back after removal and helped level about my period, making it much more consistent.

Hair removal
Whilst it may not be as bad as it used to be (I could have literally placed a werewolf and not needed any cosmetics or fancy dress), it is still and issue I need to deal with regularly.  Waxing is still my main point of call and ideally I would get it done at a beauticians, but as I would need to go on a monthly basis the expense means that I usually choose to make this an at home affair.  Definitely worth learning how to do that.

Depression
I would say that this is the most unpleasant part of having PCOS.  The little hand in the dark pulling you under and making everything awful.  There will be times when things are fine and great, but there will be many times when fighting it becomes a daily chores.  I try not to take medication unless I really have to, but the one thing that I have found has really helped is cognitive behavioural therapy.  It feels a bit weird doing it at first, almost like you don't deserve it, but I have seen improvements in my feelings and I'm hoping it will just keep getting better.  Definitely worth a shot of your suffering from the same.

Don't get me wrong, having PCOS makes you feel like you've been handed a bag of crap you didn't ask for and it can make things really unbearable sometimes.  But there are things that can be done to help deal with the effects it has.  In an ideal world you wouldn't have to deal with this, but on the plus once you've learnt how to be healthy and fit this will remain with you for the rest of your life.  Then you can just watch those people who have never had to deal with get fat as they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment