'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 24 December 2017

Living Out of One Bag


My six month traineeship is now over and I'm looking for work in the field of path construction.  Right now I'm homeless and if I do manage to get the work I'm applying for I could be travelling all over Scotland staying in work cottages and hostels.  Due to this I want to be able to fit my life in a bag I can carry on my back.

As a quick disclaimer I'll also be taking my Eurohike wellies carrier in which I keep my work boots, work waterproofs, and work PPE (all of which get very dirty and which I like to keep separate). 

At the moment I have way more stuff then I could possibly carry on my own and after having to move it all down to my parents I am now keenly aware that I have too much stuff.  Firstly I need to go through everything and have a major declutter of everything I don't use and really don't need.  I think I got used to having space in my homes and so kept items I didn't really need.  I also have a tendency to get emotionally attached to things and keep them for that reason only.

Then I need to go through the items I have felt and work out what I need to take with me for work and any additional items for the day's I'm off work.  It's going to be a balancing act between what I want to take with me and what I can actually fit into the bag (which is 65l in size) and carry. 

I'm lucky that my parents have said that I can keep some items at theirs over the next year, but I don't want this to be a long term solution or an excuse to hold onto more then I had originally intended.  So I'm going to be to be very strict with myself and to keep myself on track (and accountable) I'm going to document what I'm doing on this blog.  Even if my life changes I still want to keep what I own to a minimum so this process will still be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment