'It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' Proverb

Sunday 30 December 2018

Project Use Up Update #12


And here we are, the final update on my project use up for 2018.  I didn't get rid of as many products as I had hoped, but I still moved out 14 from this year and I'm happy with that.



Let's start with the last product I managed to use up this year, the Gosh Velvet lipstick in Matte Plum.  I was worried that this won't actually be gone by the time of this post as I didn't have too long to go and this is one of those products that doesn't actually need to be re-applied very often (very good in general, but not when you're trying to use it up).  Like the Rose colour I really liked this lipstick.  It's cruelty free, has very good staying power, it a nice colour, and doesn't dry out my lips despite being matte.  It also smells really nice, which is always good when you're putting it so close to your nose.  I still have other lipsticks to use up and, once they are gone, I would like to try some more natural products so it's unlikely that I'll buy this again.  However, if you are looking for a well priced, matt, cruelty free, long lasting lipstick then I would recommend the Gosh Velvelt lipsticks in Matte.



Next lets go for the Barbara Day Even Smoother eye primer in Vanilla.  I actually pulled the stopper out of this one as I noticed the product was beginning to get a bit dry and I wanted to see just how much product I had left.  It turns out I've done pretty well and, though it's difficult to see from the side, when I look down the tube it looks like I've used up around 3/4 of the product.  For the fact that you use so little of it with each application that isn't too bad.  However, I've had this product for over two years and, whilst it still smells fine, I don't want to take any risks with something I'm putting around my eyes, so it's time to get rid of it.  I'm not sure if any of the Barbara Day products are cruelty free (or if you can even get them any more) and it did struggle with the oiliness of my eye lids meaning that the eye shadows did not stay on for a particularly long time.  Due to this, I wouldn't recommend this item to anyone and I won't be getting this again.  I think that eye primers are probably an additional step to putting on my make-up that I don't really need so, now that this is gone, I'm not going to be buying another primer again.



I still have a fair way to go with the Living Nature eye liner in Midnight, though I did make some pretty good progress with it over 2018.  It's a pretty good eye liner and is very soft in texture, but that does mean that it smudges quite easily even if you set it with some eye shadow.  I'll be rolling this one over to next years project use up where I might test out some very dark smokey eyes in the name of using up a product.



The same it true for the NYX Dark Circle Concealer Corrector in Light / Pale.  I have done a pretty good job at using up a lot of this product, but there is still about a 1/5 to go.  It's done a good job at reducing the look of my dark under eyes, but not disguising them completely and doesn't have the best staying power.  However, it has been very easy to use and I'll be rolling this over to next year as well.


Lastly, the Argan Oil hair treatment.  As I'm using a new shampoo bar which is adding a lot of moisture and waxiness to my hair I haven't had to use this hair treatment at all over the last month.  Instead, I've been using it as a not very strong body moisturiser.  I tend to need quite thick moisturisers around this time of year so it's not really cutting it, but that does mean I need to reapply it more then I would any other product and it means it's going down a lot quicker than before.  I will carry on using this until it's gone and I think that I will roll this item over to next year as well.



I also want to have a quick chat about the Urban Decay Naked Original / 1 palette.  I've been using this palette exclusively this last quarter and, whilst I do love the colours, it's getting old and the smell is definitely changing so it's time to say goodbye.  Also, the size of the glitter is a little bit much for me, especially as I'm in my late 30s (highlighted 'fine lines' anyone).  I'm not sure if the new versions are quite so chunky in their glitter and if not I would recommend this palette is you're looking for one with this colour range.  Urban Decay is also cruelty free.  I actually don't feel too bad about getting rid of this palette as I have managed to hit pan on 4 of the colours, so it's had its use. 

And that's it, another year completed.  I had hoped to get rid of 17 products, but it's actually been 14 (with some additional items added along this way) and I'm happy with that.  I've already started thinking about what items I want to go through next year and hopefully that will be the final year that I have to actively concentrate on getting rid of surplus products.  I hope you had a great year using up your products, let me know how you did in the comments below. 😀


No comments:

Post a Comment